[Talk-GB] Designation: should we begin using prefixes

Jonathan Harley jon at spiffymap.net
Thu May 3 10:22:27 BST 2012

On 02/05/12 16:38, Chris Hill wrote:
> On 02/05/12 16:29, Andrew Chadwick wrote:
>> designation=* has been evolving recently, and has added some open land
>> classifications:
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:designation#UK_Protected_Areas
>>
>> With the proliferation of these designation codes, would it make sense
>> to begin coming up with country- or jurisdiction-coded prefixes for
>> them, similar to the way we denote "national" speed limits?
> Not really, if the tag is in the UK (or, say, England if that makes a
> difference) it is understandable that it is not anywhere else in the
> world. It is a location-oriented database after all. The UK prefix on
> speed limit tags is bonkers.

+1 for prefixes to designate a country on features which are already
geographically located in a country being bonkers.

I'm not clear what problem these prefixes are supposed to solve, but if
the problem is something like "how to identify tag usages within a
specific country", build a tool that knows how to search a specific
country, rather than placing the burden on mappers.

Jonathan.

--
Dr Jonathan Harley   :    Managing Director    :   SpiffyMap Ltd

md at spiffymap.com      Phone: 0845 313 8457     www.spiffymap.com
The Venture Centre, Sir William Lyons Road, Coventry CV4 7EZ, UK