[Talk-GB] Admin Boundaries and OS OpenData BoundaryLine

Jason Cunningham jamicuosm at googlemail.com
Wed May 30 16:11:04 BST 2012

On 29 May 2012 23:59, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> I have prepared a set of GPX files (one per admin area) from the main OS
> shapefiles. What would be the best way to get these into OSM?

Thanks for doing this. I agree use of the data will require individuals
effortt, so I'd suggest creating a wiki page which people could be updated
to show areas status.

I'd like to raise another issue. I agrree that the OS data is as definitive
as we are going to get, but it looks like the recent OpenData releases have
been "dumbed down". If you compare the original 2010 releases with the
2011/12 releases then the 2010 release appears, in places, far superior.
Only a few weeks ago I unfortunately deleted my original download of the
Boundrary Data, but to show you what I mean I've put the 'VectorMapDistrict
- AdminstrativeArea' shapefile from 2010, and a Boundrary Line 2011, on a
google image (using qgis).
Green = 2010
Red = 2012
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/jamicu/VectMapDist_AminBoundary_2010vBoundary-Line2012.jpg

You can see the Boundary Line 2012 has lost a lot of data originaly
available.

This suggests the original Boundary Line data is superior, but would need
to be compared to 2012 releases to check boundaries have not moved.

Does anyone have the original Boundary Line release? and would they be able
to make them available?

Jason