[Talk-GB] Office of National Statistics data

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 14:19:45 GMT 2012

On 4 November 2012 21:52, Rob Nickerson <rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> The odd statement on ONS's website seems to be more related to the Northern
> Ireland part of the dataset.

You could be right. But the part I quoted from
http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/guide-method/geography/beginner-s-guide/licences/index.html
, namely "The ONS postcode directories are subject to the Open
Government Licence, and Ordnance Survey OpenData Licence." occurs
before the "For those who also use the Northern Ireland data ..."
part, so I would take the former to apply to the non-NI bits of the
data. Which means that there's presumably some OS-ODC licensed data in
there.

> If you see the full statement on the licenses
> page then it states clearly that the data is available under OGL (see
> below). The same statement is also made in the download file itself.

Oops. I hadn't spotted that. It looks like ONS is getting just as
confused as I am with the different licenses. It seems that the
license ONS is providing the data under is fine for OSM then. :-)

(I'd still suspect that there is some Royal Mail IP in there, via
CodePoint Open or similar, which previously Royal Mail haven't let us
use. If this is the case, I guess we just have to hope that either
they've changed their mind, or they don't notice what ONS are doing
with their data!)

I'm sorry for the unnecessary interruption.

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker