[Talk-GB] Offset problem

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Tue Oct 23 12:11:28 BST 2012

Lester Caine wrote:
> Philip Barnes wrote:
>> OSRM uses the place node from OSM. The node needs to be close enough to a road
>> it can navigate to, otherwise it will fail. I moved Shrewsbury for this reason
>> as it was in the middle of a pedestrianised area.
>
> I've added addr:place tags along with the postcode to all the roads in the area,
> THEN I found that 'Dumbleton' place tag was flagged as is_in Gloucestershire
> which does not help :)
>
> Interesting ... I know Dumbleton as in Worcestershire, but the Gloucestershire
> border IS north of the vilage. Searches give both Worcs and Gloucs county
> references and the POSTAL address IS Dumbleton, EVESHAM and it's a WR postcode,
> but Google says Worcs and Bing say Glocs :) I just seem to have picked a
> 'difficult one'

Seems the 'posh' side of Dumbleton prefer to be 'Worcs' while the official
location is 'Glocs' :) Have put the place back, but this is an area that needs
handling a little better. Postal details do not necessarily match reality on the
ground as we know, but it would at least be helpful if the local 'place'
featured in any search results. I've added addr:place=Dumbleton and
addr:city=Evesham which is the correct postal address so I can see what changes.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL