[Talk-GB] Office of National Statistics data

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 31 12:08:05 GMT 2012

> The UK Office for National Statistics has released some data [1] under
> the Open Government licence [2] . I've extracted the postcode data from
> it and created a tile overlay which can help find a postcode for a
> building in GB, excluding Northern Ireland. More info is at
> http://onspd.raggedred.net including using the tiles layers in Potlatch
> 2 & JOSM.

Brilliant!

I notice you say "PLEASE do not add the centroids to the OSM map database.
The centroids are not real objects so they do not belong in the OSM
database.". Is this not something we actually do all the time? We
represent places and amenities by a node as an approximation, unless
someone takes the time to enter the true extent of the object in question,
which often doesn't happen.

Colin