[Talk-GB] UK Postcodes - Potential data source

Matt Williams lists at milliams.com
Wed Sep 5 16:43:11 BST 2012

On 31 August 2012 15:10, Matt Williams <lists at milliams.com> wrote:
> On 30 August 2012 18:35, Rob Nickerson <rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Matt,
>> I was actually thinking the other way round. That is:
>>
>> Pull in a list of building with addresses but no postcode in OSM (with their
>> way IDs) and see if any match up with the Land Registry addresses. This way
>> we can add postcode to buildings rather than just to the roads.
>>

>> Not sure if this is any easier/harder to do.
>
> It's probably easier for me to do. However, we run the risk or
> ambiguity where the Land Registry data says "10 Main Street" and we
> find 10 of those in the OSM data. Maybe this wont be a problem and
> even if we do find ambiguity, we can simply list all the possible
> matches.
>
> I'll see what I can come up with.

Ok, first iteration of something with this is up at
http://milliams.dev.openstreetmap.org/postcodefinder/landregistry/

It's extremely basic and isn't providing much more than you can get
with a bit of grep magic. You enter a postcode and it does a substring
match to get all the matching entries. I have added all 349,849 (up to
and including the July data) entries.

The next step will be to take start matching up that list with the
address provided through
http://milliams.dev.openstreetmap.org/postcodefinder/ and show a map
of matches.

--