[Talk-GB] Errors with addresses in OSMI

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Tue Sep 25 12:58:36 BST 2012

On 25/09/2012 10:34, Tom Chance wrote:
> The first issue is that the tool flags up "endpoint_wrong_format", which
> the wiki says means one or other of the numbers in the housenumber
> aren't integers. But they are!
>
> Here's the OSMI view:
> http://tiny.cc/kpp6kw
>
> Here's an example way it is flagging up:
>
> Can someone point out where I have gone wrong, or is this a problem with
> OSMI?

I think the problem is it is tagged as add:interpolation=odd, when its
not actually an interpolation way. An interpolation way should be a
line, with a node at each end tagged with add:housenumber. So it doesn't
really make sense on a closed way / area, or a node.

Its clear that you want to say that building has the numbers 15,17,19
etc, though I'm not sure what the best way of tagging this is.
Using addr:interpolation for this is documented here (at the bottom of
the page, for "Multiple housenumbers on one object"):
http://milliams.dev.openstreetmap.org/postcodefinder/tagging/

> The second issue is with roads that don't really exist. For example, a
> row of houses have addresses for "OSM Terrace" but front straight onto
> "OSM Road". These terraces often appear where new homes are built and
> there's no space for addresses on "OSM Road". You can see a couple of
> examples here: http://tiny.cc/93p6kw
>
> Should I just ignore those and treat them as warnings, or doing
> something else?

This may depend on how it is signposted on the ground. You could say
"OSM Terrace" is an alternative name for that section of "OSM Road", so
tag it as alt_name. Or possibly name:left / name:right, if it is just
one side of the road.

Craig