[Talk-GB] This one is driving me potty

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Tue Sep 25 18:18:01 BST 2012

Brad Rogers wrote:
> As they stood, they bore little relation to what's actually on the
> ground. Same applies to lots of waterways in the area. I believe they
> were loaded en mass from an open source data set, but I'm not sure.

"source=npe" suggests that they were traced from New Popular Edition
maps, such as:
http://a.ooc.openstreetmap.org/npe/13/4012/2741.png

Back before Bing and OS StreetView, it was one of the very few available
UK tracing sources - lots of roads (mostly since corrected) and
waterways (often largely not) were traced from NPE. By current standards
(Bing imagery, EGNOS-capable GPS) it isn't terribly accurate.  Some area
are worse than others - my bit of Derbyshire/Notts seems to have
suffered from a "Friday map update" - some of the railway lines drawn in
are topologically correct only.

When I'm creating Garmin maps I stick "NPE" on the end of the name of
anything that has that in the source, to make it an obvious target for
remapping.

Cheers,
Andy