[Talk-GB] maxspeed changes

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Wed Sep 26 22:41:32 BST 2012

Andrew M. Bishop wrote:
> At the moment though Routino doesn't store the value of "maxspeed:hgv"
> tags but if people started using them then it might be worth adding.

Surely we wouldn't want to encourage people to add that to every single
carriageway road in the UK with a national speed limit, when it's
implicit once we've said (however we choose to say it) "this is a single
carriageway" and "this road has a national speed limit sign"?

It's only a small step from "let's add maxspeed:hgv to every relevant
road" to "let's do it to all roads it applies to regardless of survey".

Adding implicit speed limits to every object was a madness* that
afflicted certain members of the Australian community for a while (first
with a globally-applied "maxspeed:source", then changed to
"source:maxspeed"), resulting in the speed limit on Rottnest Island,
which is actually 20 urban 40 elsewhere, being set to 50 globally.

Cheers,
Andy

* Now thankfully cured - take one licence change, stir vigourously for a
while and then rest.