[Talk-GB] Acceptability of data sources for road names

Paul Bivand paul.bivand at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Sep 30 18:16:30 BST 2012

Small cautionary note on Housing development sales boards.

Development names may well be different from local authority final names.

In my patch we have had a development known as Capstone Heights with that name
on all the development signs including maps. However the local authority
allocated the street name 'Ward View'.

The OSM name has to be the road sign name.

For rural road and path names I'd be tempted to use OS 1:25k or 1:10k, with
the more extreme nerds going down the county record office to check the mid-
nineteenth century tithe map (very large scale with all paths, woods and fields
named).

Paulbiv