[Talk-GB] Aerial Photographs

Andy Robinson ajrlists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 09:54:04 UTC 2013

Folks,

Sheffield University has some surplus aerial imagery that could be available
to us if we wish to have it. Its described as a considerable collection
(amounting to around 6 filling
cabinets) of UK (mostly England, and mainly northern England) black & white
9" x 9" photographic prints, dating from around WWII to the early 1980s.
There are a few index sheets, many of the boxed sets are labelled.

I've asked for some more details so that we might consider storage
requirements (They are currently temporarily stored in a garage but need to
be in a dry low humidity room really) and should get some photos of what it
all looks like in the next few days.

In the meantime two questions for UK OSMers:

1. Do you think this is a resource that we should go for and build upon as a
sub-project within OSM?
2. How should we best deal with physical storage until such time as items
can be digitised. The question about what to do with documents (same applies
to all the map sheets I have) after digitising can be left till a later
date.

I'm less worried about scanning and managing the files now as I have
sufficient scanning equipment to cover most bases and disk space attached to
an OSM sever doesn't appear to be an issue. We would need to come up with
tools and methods of turning them into a seamless mosaic but I'm sure given
the task there's a workable solution for that too.

All thoughts, suggestions and offers welcome.

Cheers
Andy