[Talk-GB] Sustrans still using OS map data

Phil Endecott spam_from_osmgb at chezphil.org
Fri Apr 5 15:05:06 UTC 2013

Dave F wrote:
> I see Sustrans are still using OS map data

> Seems a great shame a charity is paying for something that
> could be free.

I was also at the SOTM Scotland talk.  Yes, Sustrans gets the OS data
free-of-charge.  This reminds me a bit of trying to advocate Linux in
countries with rampant software piracy: "Just look how much you can save
by not having to pay Microsoft... Oh.".

It also lead to the odd situation where Sustrans had a mobile app that
provided complete national 1:25,000 OS Explorer mapping for free.
Interestingly, that has now been replaced with OS OpenData maps so
perhaps their relationship with OS is changing - or maybe they were
just overstepping the mark with the previous app.

Cheers,  Phil.