[Talk-GB] Railway bridge numbers

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Tue Apr 9 14:57:46 UTC 2013

Philip Barnes wrote:
> Seems a good idea. I would suggest a new tag, such as bridge_ref.
> I have come across cases of canal bridge numbers using the ref tag [...]
> Most canal bridge numbers are in the name tag, but I am not sure that is
> right either.

There seem to be a lot of canal bridge numbers in the ref tag around
Cheshire, but not so many elsewhere. I've replaced them when I've spotted
them.

I've long used bridge_ref for canal bridges, in the same vein as lock_ref
and lock_name. The only place that doesn't work easily is on a
railway-over-canal bridge, but you can namespace those: railway:bridge_ref,
waterway:bridge_ref.

cheers
Richard