[Talk-GB] Mass edits of landuse /natural tags

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Thu Apr 25 16:17:32 UTC 2013

On 25/04/13 17:00, John Baker wrote:
> Wow creating a storm here.
>
> I cannot believe we are have so much discussion about grass. I have
> had some before not about this type...

See! Discussion is needed. There are points of view that you don't
understand and didn't find out about because you didn't ask.

> Things should be tagged first and foremost with both wiki definitions
> and what is in general usage. In both of these cases landuse=grass
> should be used for grass landcover.

No. The wiki is hardly an oracle or fount of all knowledge. It is a
muddle that 'just growed'. There is no right tag or wrong tag and a wiki
page is certainly not a licence to mass edit. You are squashing subtle
meanings from people's tagging that you don't seem to understand even
exists.

> This is what is defined in landcover, landuse wiki pages. That is what
> is used in general around the UK.

So? It's a guide, not a law. It is at the mercy of whomsoever last
edited the page.

> I know how few natural=grass where in the database before I changed
> them so there were not in common usage and a agreed standard and I am
> confused at the passion this brings for those that didn't even edit it
> as such.

A minority tag is not there to be squashed out of existence with a mass
edit, it is there because someone chose to use it. The passion is to
show respect for the process of discussing mass edits to prevent people
who don't get it from doing it.

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly