[Talk-GB] Mass edits of landuse /natural tags

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Apr 25 17:54:42 UTC 2013

John Baker wrote:
> The wiki is a consensus of opinion over the years about how to tag things. The
> lack of respect for this I find staggering.

It would be nice if there WAS a consensus. There are a number of
'contradictions' and the area of landuse vs natural has been debated many times
and I don't think any of the current 'selections' accurately describe the
situation so there is still room for improvement.

The general consensus seems to be that 'landuse' is used where an area is
managed or has been artificially created and natural where there is no
discernible management.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dgrassland highlights some of
the subtle differences, and there is a valid argument for natural=meadow co
existing with landuse=meadow since there are still some remaining natural
meadowlands, or should that be natural=grassland/grassland=meadow ? I don't see
the need for the 'grasslands' here at all - just use meadow,veld,pampas or what
ever with natural. 'wood' is another area where there are managed and unmanaged
woodland which is not forest.

landcover was I think proposed at one time to remove the distinction between
managed and unmanaged but in reality the distinction IS important even if it's
use is not being applied properly. So what checks are you making that there is
not such a distinction between the areas that you arbitrarily changing?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL