[Talk-GB] Missing place=city nodes: Manchester, Leeds

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Sun Apr 28 12:57:32 UTC 2013

On 28/04/2013 10:42, Philip Barnes wrote:

> Leeds, however it is in the middle of a pedestrianised area, so makes
> routing results at best unhelpful as it directs you to a dead end side
> street. Would be better on a main road from which the central car parks
> are accessible.

Philip, Richard, David

If someone sets their destination as 'Manchester' they're really not
looking for a specific place within the city. I place names where they
can be rendered in a visible location. With villages this is often in
the middle of an adjacent field.

Polygons place name tags at their centroid. This can be well away from
the city centre (& even outside the polygon if 'L' shaped). Until the
tag can be specifically placed a separate node is the best option.

"Asking the question 'where should I put it' just illustrates why a node
is a problem, an approximation."
I'd describe that as careful, considerate mapping with the problem I
described above being the approximation.

General point: Please don't attach place tags onto other way/polygon
objects. They often get deleted when the ways are unpicked then re-added.

Cheers
Dave F.