[Talk-GB] walls versus landuse=field

John Aldridge jpsa at jjdash.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 30 12:01:51 UTC 2013

On 30/04/2013 09:38, Henry Gomersall wrote:
> I noticed that lots of fields, for example in
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=53.92332&lon=-1.7091&zoom=15&layers=M
> are shown as closed loops of landuse=field. Clearly walls/fences and
> enclosed fields are somewhat equivalent, but subtly different in terms
> of what they describe (certainly, walls are not always around fields)

Sometimes fields do not have any physical barrier, such as a fence,
wall, hedge or ditch. Rather, the farmer just leaves an uncultivated
margin separating adjacent fields. The position of this margin is
(often, at least) stable from year to year, so seems worth representing
in OSM. This seems to argue for mapping each field as a landuse=field
loop, at least in such cases.

--
Cheers,
John