[Talk-GB] walls versus landuse=field

sk53.osm sk53.osm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 13:06:44 UTC 2013

This is quite reasonable, although as I use farmland for all agriculture
(but not viticulture or orchards) I had never appreciated that it seems to
have become synonymous with arable.
I still think landuse=farmland, farmland=arable is a better way of tagging
(& a tad friendlier to data consumers).

There is one point where I would take exception landuse=meadow; there still
should be a distinction for grasses grown as a 'crop' for leys
(monocultures of grasses mainly for silage) and hay meadows, and fields
predominantly used for pasture.

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 1:35 PM, Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net> wrote:

> On 30 April 2013 12:32, Henry Gomersall <heng at cantab.net> wrote:
>> Does meadow mean grazing land? Do we define high fell land as "meadow"
>> as well when it's used for grazing sheep?
>> Perhaps a landuse=grazing should be available.
> If you wanted to define field types, I'd suggest the following tags. This
> is more or less what is on the wiki, but ignoring some of the more stupid
> conventions that someone has introduced.
> landuse=farmland for agricultural land (crops, pasture, fruits, etc.)
> landuse=meadow for meadows that are kept by grazing animals
> natural=meadow for meadows that are left to themselves
> natural=scrub/fell/heath/scrub based on standard English definitions.
> Look on the wiki for other values e.g. for mountainous or coastal areas.
> Regards,
> Tom
> --
> http://tom.acrewoods.net   http://twitter.com/tom_chance
> _______________________________________________
> Talk-GB mailing list
> Talk-GB at openstreetmap.org
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-gb
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/attachments/20130430/15165712/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the Talk-GB mailing list