[Talk-GB] Complaining about refs on roads again!

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 18:21:46 UTC 2013

On 30 April 2013 11:39, sk53.osm <sk53.osm at gmail.com> wrote:
> This adding of refs on roads is getting ridiculous. I just was geotagging
> some photos and I noticed this: http://osm.org/go/eu1a7D4X.
>
> A number of unclassified & residential roads have been tagged in Cheshire
> (can't remember which one it is because this is on the border) with
> obviously internal highway codes, e.g., .
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/27716745/history. The source is not
> obvious.

I would still maintain that it is appropriate to use the ref key for
such reference numbers. Internal or not, it's still the primary
official reference number for that stretch of road. I would argue that
the "problem" with the numbers being displayed on the map is more of a
rendering issue.

Such reference numbers may not be entirely internal anyway. I've seen
them appear both on official publicly displayed road closure notices
(to describe which roads are being closed)  and also on the Definitive
Statement for Public Rights of Way (to describe where a particular
footpath starts or ends).

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker