[Talk-GB] Phone numbers in little England

Andy Street mail at andystreet.me.uk
Thu Aug 22 09:49:41 UTC 2013

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 08:35:17 +0100
OpenStreetmap HADW <osmhadw at gmail.com> wrote:

> My question is, given that I have good programming skills, and would
> manipulate a local .osm file, for JOSM, rather than directly using the
> API, are there likely to be any objections to my changing  all London,
> and later, all UK local format geographic numbers to international,
> and adding and correcting area codes for London and director areas (I
> assume there are database copyright issues with a table lookup for the
> full set of national number group codes, to get the right lengths)?

+1 for converting to international format and removing "bogus
0". We are an international project so it makes sense to make use
of international addressing schemes where such things exist and the
structured nature of the data should make it easy to make the change
without introducing errors.

I'm slightly more hesitant when it comes to fiddling with whitespace.
Since most data consumers will likely strip whitespace altogether or
reformat it for display to end users I don't see the value in making
this change unless there is a need to edit the item for some other
purpose.

--
Regards,

Andy Street