[Talk-GB] Phone numbers in little England

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Aug 22 09:53:01 UTC 2013

Tom Hughes wrote:
>> Personally I still think of 0207 as Inner London and 0208 as Outer
>> London, but moving the 7/8 as part of the exchange sort of makes sense
>> these days.
>
> Well you think incorrectly then, as that has not been the case for some time,
> either in theory or in practice. On top of which 0203 is now in use as well...
As I said - been 25 years - I can remember the changeover but not what I did
last week :)

> That said I see little benefit in a mass edit, especially in cases which just
> amount to inserting or moving whitespace. Then again I see little benefit in
> adding phone numbers to OSM in the first place.
In the absence of a mechanism to reliably link external data to objects in OSM,
then there is a small reason for including the phone number with an address,
along with a web url. But I'm probably with you that IN the main database is not
the right location. A secondary searchable database makes a lot more sense but
I've been pushing that for years :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL