[Talk-GB] HS2 mapping

OpenStreetmap HADW osmhadw at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 11:17:02 UTC 2013

On 29 August 2013 11:59, Barry Cornelius <barrycorneliusuk at gmail.com> wrote:

> adding the information to OSM as the data provided by a council can be
> out-of-date and it is necessary to check whether the data agrees with what's
> on the ground.  There are also licensing issues.

The councils' definitive maps override what is on the ground.  The
real problem is that the councils hold the database copyrights on this
information, so one either has to negotiate a licence, or try to map
from the signing on the ground, which may contradict the definitive
maps.

I actually seem to remember that we are approaching a point where any
public right of way not on a definitive map will cease to be one.

In practice, I doubt that new public rights of way are being created
these days, so being out of date is probably not a problem.   (I'm not
sure if that applies to long distance footpaths.)