[Talk-GB] Hants CC - Open Government Licence & use of data

wintonian mail at wintonian.net
Tue Dec 3 23:29:38 UTC 2013

This was one of the other things I was wondering about.

If we are mapping what is actually on the ground (which would seem to be
the sensible approach) and then assigning the relevant legal status to
the feature i.e. a footpath/ bridleway etc. in this case and the legal
line RoW is diffident to that which is currently used then are we not
implying that it's OK to trespass on this path, which is effectively
what is happening by using it?

I'm not to worried about law suits as we could just 'copy' is OS and use
a disclaimer ("the representation of [...] is no evidence of..."), I
mean if it works for them... But I will admit it may be a valid concern.

as for waymarks and fingerprints pointing a different way they are
(according to HCC at least) supposed to point in the direction of the
legal RoW and where it looks like people go. However from my experience
I don't think they always take a copy of the definitive map with them
when they go out on such a task - "Oh look it seems people have been
walking around the field edge, I doubt the nice farmer would illegally
plough their field and not restore it being the such welcoming fellows
they are." - Hmm.

As for importing the data I know most of the RoW's are in OSM so I was
really just thinking about assigning the correct designation to the
existing ways and filling in the gaps where they exist (or perhaps I
should say don't exist).

Lastly I am unclear as to what we do when we come to what I call
unspecified rights of way, that is those shown on the OS Explorer series
with green dots, which donate routes that are accepted (by the highway
authority) as being rights of way but no-one knows exactly what those
rights are. These are not shown on definitive maps but the OS obtains
the data from the highway authority. I must confess I am a little
unclear as to the whole concept of a RoW known about not being on the
definitive map.

Regards
Robert