[Talk-GB] cycle.travel - new OSM-powered cycling site

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Wed Dec 4 15:57:05 UTC 2013

Gregory wrote:
> I'll definitely be wanting to try this out next time I have somewhere
> to go. Thanks Richard.

\o/ Thanks!

> Hmm, I think the "gridline" must be a glitch in the data.

It is, I'm afraid - it's a bug in the way that the SRTM tiles line up which
I haven't ironed out yet.

> * The cartography is surprisingly different. I've been less-accustomed
> to pale maps that I associate more with paper.

I've tried to make it deliberately "papery" and, in particular, with some
echoes of the New Popular Edition and OS 7th series; for example, using a
serif font for placenames.

> * Can I not drag the route on circular routes? This would be helpful
> to iron out a long double-back stretch at the start.

OSRM doesn't support circular routes out of the box, so these circular
routes are actually OSRM's first-choice route 'out', then its alternate
route 'back'. As a result, adding a via point would add it to both the
outward and return legs, which wouldn't be what you want.

> * Wow, was just about to close the page when I clicked the
> elevation profile button.

(I did have a request from a Mr Jonathan Bennett of this parish for a MAMIL
routing option that would _prefer_ hills...)

> * Are the tiles available for others to use?

They're not, because I'd be a rubbish tileserver sysadmin - keeping up with
a server for my own use is enough for me, let alone providing one for the
rest of the world. :) I would encourage people wanting cycle cartography on
their own sites to talk to Andy, as ever, who is much better at running
servers than I am.

> * What is the data refresh rate (near-live or a regular import of some
> amount)?

Weekly, though I can trigger it more frequently if needs be.

cheers
Richard