[Talk-GB] Hants CC - Open Government Licence & use of data

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 12:19:28 UTC 2013

On 4 December 2013 11:45, Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk> wrote:
> Re the HCC data I have had this communication from Dan at HCC.
>
> "Hi Nick,
>
>  I have been in comms with my contact at OS and the feedback I have had is
> that ODBL and OS Open Licence can work together.  As long as there is still
> attribution to OS with the data in an ODBL database then all should be fine
> and that
>
> “Anyone using data licensed under the OS OpenData Licence is obliged to
> ensure that its terms are met”
>
> This was not their legal teams response but thought it may help, direct
> contact with their legal is recommended when trying to sort something out
> for sure.
>
> Dan"
>
> So it looks like it can be used, but attribution to OS has to be included;
> this would, I guess (but IANAL) be covered by mentioning the OS in the
> "source" tag.

If that's the only "permission" we have, then I don't think it's
enough. The statement is rather non-committal, and it only offers
second-hand advice as to whether the licences are compatible, rather
than being an explicit permission to use the data. I don't see how the
advice would change the current situation as described at
http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/os-open-data.html . In particular, we
now have something more definitive from Ordnance Survey, stating their
view is that the OS OpenData Licence is not forward compatible with
ODbL. Then, without any specific permission from both rights holders,
I don't see how we can make use of the HCC data in OSM.

Best wishes,

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker