[Talk-GB] Freemap - experimentally expanding to cover the whole of England

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Thu Dec 12 20:08:36 UTC 2013

Hello Tony,

I import the standard processed_p.shp coastlines shapefile (available from the OSM github repository IIRC) and import that into the postgis database using shp2pgsql (standard command line tool). This creates a series of *land* polygons in the database - squares inland and multi-point on the coast.

The GeoJSON generated from the database therefore contains land polygons (tagged with "natural=land"). These are styled using an off-white colour. The background colour of the map is blue (sea): land polygons are drawn on top of this background.

Nick