[Talk-GB] Question regarding OS Opendata

tony wroblewski tony.wroblewski at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 15:07:57 UTC 2013

Hi

I have a question regarding the OS Opendata. How accurately aligned is it?
I've noticed that in some places the bing orphophotos match up almost
perfectly to the buildings below, and it other areas there can be some
difference (sometimes up to a meter of). Taking into account the angle the
photo was taken from the air, and ground elevation, which should be
considered more accurate?

Generally, when adding buildings I trace the outline of the building on
opendata, and then using bing aerial, I split the building shape up and add
details. I generally have to continually align the bing aerial photo
scenery to match the areas on opendata. Even on small areas, the
differences can be quite a bit, and I'm doing my best to continually align
and adjust.

I'm asking (questioning accuracy), since the opendata seems pretty old,
forested areas aren't often shaped or are missing and buildings are often
missing. Whilst the orphophotos are also fairly old, they still seem more
up-to-date in some areas.

Regards

Tony