[Talk-GB] Marking landuse and field boundaries

Dudley Ibbett dudleyibbett at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 1 11:15:09 GMT 2013

My main motivation for getting involved with OSM was to get a better walking map on my garmin.   To this extent I have been adding lots of barriers in the southern part of the Peak District.  So it is being done.  Whilst it is time consuming I wouldn't say it is difficult.  I do survey with a GPS and camera as much as possible, mainly on foot.  It can be difficult to determine the type of barrier from satellite imagery so having pictures to refer to makes it easier.  JOSM supports photo mapping really well.  You do need to check GPS tracks against the imagery and be prepared to adjust the imagery offset.  I wouldn't get overly concerned about the accuracy of the position of the barrier.  A fairly good job can be done with the existing tools available and people can always adjust as these improve.

I must admit I don't map land use if it is farmland.  To me if it isn't mapped it is farmland.  It would seem a reasonable default.

Please give barrier mapping a go as we are out there.

Dudley

Sent from my iPad