[Talk-GB] Marking landuse and field boundaries

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Tue Jan 1 19:04:23 GMT 2013

On 1 January 2013 18:39, Chris Hill <osm at raggedred.net> wrote:

> As I said above (you must have missed it) marking fields within urban
> areas is a good idea as you been doing. The contrast with the surroundings
> is valuable and is not smothering thousands of square kilometres with
> pointless polygons that add no value.

I hadn't missed that comment, in fact my work takes me up to the boundary
of Greater London which includes quite a lot of green belt farmland so I
have started to add that in. If I were to move to Shropshire I might
equally be interested to look at the land uses in one of England's most
rural counties, and I wouldn't want to assume that the presence of some
fences meant all landuses except farmland had been mapped. I cannot
understand why you would leap from the belief that "it is of no value to
me" to the conclusion that "it is of no value to anybody".

I also cannot understand comments such as Richard's, which arise every time
somebody wants to add additional data that they consider valuable. Compared
to the days of just mapping roads, many cities today are a dense mass of
addressed buildings, metadata-to-the-eyeballs roads and every amenity known
to man. Should we pity the poor sod who tries to edit that?

One of the fun things about OpenStreetMap is seeing interesting uses others
have made of data I would never have considered interesting.

Regards,
Tom