[Talk-GB] Pronunciation of place names

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Thu Jan 10 14:29:52 GMT 2013

 If we were to use this method then we would need to tag a lot of road names, as in my experience these are the names satnavs use. It is rare for them to actually pronounce a place name but road names are often named after the place they go to.

 Phil (trigpoint)
--

Sent from my Nokia N9

On 10/01/2013 13:30 John Sturdy wrote:

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
> My friend Terence Eden has some interesting comments on documenting
> the pronunciation of place names, in this blog post:

> Can we solve the problem of how to do this, in OSM?

We could have a keyword convention for indicating the pronunciation
(in various languages) using the International Phonetic Alphabet; for
example, we could supplement name:<language>=* with
name:<language>:IPA=*

__John

andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk