[Talk-GB] Pronunciation of place names

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Thu Jan 10 15:46:19 GMT 2013

Some sort of lookup database for pronunciation would be good, where
we can add problem names a they are found.

Some more particular problems I have heard frequently are Vale of Belvoir, Groby, Whitwick and thats is just some in Leicestershire.

Phil (trigpoint)
--

Sent from my Nokia N9

On 10/01/2013 15:00 Andy Mabbett wrote:

On 10 January 2013 14:29, Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:
> If we were to use this method then we would need to tag a lot of road
> names, as in my experience these are the names satnavs use. It is rare for
> them to actually pronounce a place name but road names are often named after
> the place they go to.

"Need" is an interesting choice of words.

We could concentrate our efforts on acses where the pronunciation is
problematic; such as "Reading" or (as mentioned already) "Clough".

There is already the possibility, discussed in the blog post comment I
mentioned, of automating some of this; and like all information tags,
this would be optional; no-one has to add anything.

--

Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

http://pigsonthewing.org.uk