[Talk-GB] Pronunciation of place names

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Thu Jan 10 17:26:41 GMT 2013

Shrewsbury is pronounced Shrew, a in the tiny animal, by locals.

Have just asked someone born there, his comment was its only pronounced Shrowsbury by posh people who aren't from there, and those who go to shrowsbury school.

Phil
--

Sent from my Nokia N9

On 10/01/2013 16:18 Robert Scott wrote:

On Thursday 10 January 2013, John Sturdy wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
> > My friend Terence Eden has some interesting comments on documenting
> > the pronunciation of place names, in this blog post:
>
> > Can we solve the problem of how to do this, in OSM?
>
> We could have a keyword convention for indicating the pronunciation
> (in various languages) using the International Phonetic Alphabet; for
> example, we could supplement name:<language>=* with
> name:<language>:IPA=*

So what would you tag Shrewsbury?

And incidentally, I don't know of any text-to-speech software that can pronounce IPA, so, while this proposal seems sensible, it probably wouldn't solve the original link's problem.

robert.

andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk