[Talk-GB] Postcode data

Aidan McGinley aidmcgin+openstreetmap at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 11:32:21 GMT 2013

@Rob yes I had seen that.  It is a great tool, but as you say it's
difficult to be absolutely sure that what you get back is accurate

To summarise what I'll be looking at doing

Filter the following from the ONS Postcode data:
 - Postcodes which have a date of termination set
 - Postcodes whose centroid is shared with other postcodes
 - Postcodes which have a quality indicator other than "Within the building
of the matched address closest to the postcode"

Then match these filtered centroids to ways from Openstreetmap that have
the following criteria:
 - The way is closed
 - The postcode centroid is inside the way
 - The way does not already have a "addr:postcode" tag
 - The way is tagged building=*

There are future enhancements that can be done around tackling ways tagged
amenity=* as per Rovastars comments, and reporting on postcode accuracy but
the above is enough for the initial version I think.

If there are no objections to the above, I will start work on optimizing
the script and get in touch with the import mailing list to discuss how to
actually tackle the task of importing the data.