[Talk-GB] Postcode data

Matt Williams lists at milliams.com
Tue Jan 15 12:00:09 GMT 2013

On 14 January 2013 19:54, Rob Nickerson <rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Aidan,
>
> Sounds like you have thought this through to ensure that this "import" will
> work well in practice. I would be more satisfied if imports were to closed
> ways with building=* only (as mentioned by others).
>
> Have you seen the Land Registry 'price paid' open data that includes
> addresses and postcodes. Matt had a go at creating a simple tool that
> matches their data to OSM address tags [1]. It's a great start, but be aware
> that the "nearby houses" only matches on street name and number so you can
> end up with addresses in different towns. Also it's quickest if you specify
> at least the first number after the space (e.g. CV4+8)

The tool is supposed to only return matched houses that are local to
postcode that you searched for.

What it tries to do is
* grab all postcode centroids that match the query ("CV4 8")
* calculate the bounding box of those points
* expand the box (0.1 degrees in width and 0.05 degrees in height)
* then only match number and address against houses in that box

If you're getting matches that seem to be wildly outside of that then
let me know.

--
Matt Williams
http://milliams.com