[Talk-GB] Postcode data

Matt Williams lists at milliams.com
Fri Jan 18 10:43:08 GMT 2013

On 17 January 2013 23:01, Rob Nickerson <rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would imagine that this would add a fair number of postcodes, and although
> those interested in address lookup can just use the centroid database
> without needing to go to OSM, this requires knowledge of the database (which
> non-UK developers might not have) and does not link postcodes back to
> address numbers and street names. Also recall that the Auto industry asked
> in 2012 how OSM intends to bridge the gap between us and commercial map
> providers. Something like this would be a good step in the right direction
> in my opinion.
>
> From what I have heard, this sounds like a very cautious import and I am
> happy to support it. It may even have lower "error" rates than some manual
> edits!!
>
> RobJN
>
> p.s. Matt, if you are reading this, do you still update your graph of number
> of postcodes added to OSM? Might be interesting to see it.

Sure, the latest version (from the update a few days ago) is attached.

The vertical axis represents my interpretation of how many delivery
points we have with an address in the UK in OSM at the moment. This
means I've expanded out interpolated ways and buildings with multiple
addresses.

The big straight section in the middle is from where I didn't update
the tool for ages.

--
Matt Williams
http://milliams.com