[Talk-GB] Invisible/impassable rights-of-way

Andy Street mail at andystreet.me.uk
Fri Jan 25 18:52:15 GMT 2013

On Fri, 2013-01-25 at 13:58 +0000, Dave F. wrote:
> Blockages of ways are often just temporary.
> I disagree with Andy Street's comment:
> "If you can't traverse a right of way then it shouldn't have a highway
> tag."

Okay perhaps I could have been clearer but I wasn't suggesting omitting
the highway tag on paths that have the occasional fallen tree or
something that is likely to be rectified quickly, what I had in mind was
when someone builds a house over a public right of way or where you'd
need power-tools because the path is completely non-existent. It's the
same principal as roadworks where we don't change how we tag unless they
are going to close the road for a significant length of time.

> As Chris Hill suggests contact your L.A. I've done it a few times &
> they
> did act on it, but only after a bit of difficulty explaining their
> own
> path reference numbers to them.

+1

If there is a problem with the path notify the local authority
regardless of how you tag it in OSM.

Regards,

Andy