[Talk-GB] Invisible/impassable rights-of-way

Jonathan Harley jon at spiffymap.net
Sat Jan 26 14:56:53 GMT 2013

On 26/01/13 14:41, Brad Rogers wrote:
> John Aldridge <jpsa at jjdash.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> In one case, the location of the path is clear, because it runs between
>> two walls and the green "Public Footpath" signs are present, but a
>> section of it has become completely and densely overgrown with
>> brambles. It also has a large pile of earth obstructing it, which makes
>> me wonder whether the obstruction is deliberate. It's been like this
>> for at least a couple of years.
>
> Report it to the relevant PRoW Officer.  The landowner should be forced
> to maintain the Way.

Actually, AIUI, the landowner can't be forced to, but if the landowner
won't reinstate and clear the path, the council must. The council can
then charge the full cost of them doing so to the landowner - which is
likely to be far more than if the landowner did it. The threat alone is
almost always enough to get them to do it. But occasionally, I suppose,
the landowner can't be tracked down. The local authority still has to
keep PRoWs open.

Also you don't need to figure out, yourself, who the PRoW officer is -
just contact the highways department of the local authority.

J.

--
Dr Jonathan Harley   :   Managing Director  :   SpiffyMap Ltd

md at spiffymap.com     Phone: 08453138457     www.spiffymap.com
The Venture Centre, Sir William Lyons Road, Coventry, CV4 7EZ