[Talk-GB] Fw: Fowey estuary coastline problem

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 30 15:02:32 GMT 2013

I found this report from 2000 which addresses exactly this point.

http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/pdf/tyldesley_reportall.pdf

It still
doesn't answer the question "why Dittisham" though. According to one
algorithm it should cross the river at the tidal limit, which is in
Totnes, far above Dittisham. That would be even sillier. The boundary
cuts straight across Torbay from Torquay to Brixham - but this is as
defined in a specific law. The City of Bristol's administrative
boundaries are even sillier.

In any case, the coastline (which is a
matter of geographical fact, although you can argue about whether it's
HWM/LWM etc) is not the same as the limit of (governmental) jurisdiction
and the Extent of the Realm; if they are not colinear, there should be
two lines in OSM, right?

Colin

On 2013-01-30 11:46, Jason Woollacott