[Talk-GB] Help with postgres

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Wed Jul 10 08:42:57 UTC 2013

Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 10/07/13 09:24, Lester Caine wrote:
>
>> Not helping :(
>> I used
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/PostGIS/Installation#openSUSE_11.2 to
>> set up, and
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapnik#Authentication_failure kicked
>> in, but 'psql gis' gets me in and I can play with the data, just
>> generate_tiles.py is giving the
>> FATAL:  Ident authentication failed for user "root" error
>
> Well why are you running renderd as root! You really, really don't want to be
> doing that...

Habit ...
I'm remote onto the machine via ssh as root because I was configuring the server
and that is the way I've done things for many years ... May not be politically
correct these days, but I can set up the various accounts quickly and I've not
got used to having to 'sudo' every command :)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL