[Talk-GB] SOTM Presentation idea - Council footpath data - comments?

sk53.osm sk53.osm at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 21:15:58 UTC 2013

Hi Nick,

I went out doing a bit of footpath surveying the other day & ended up doing
several submissions to the county council website: mainly about missing
signage. Also rather irritating was that a couple of paths marked on (a
recent) OS map do not exist, so one would want to feedback to them. So I
buy strongly into your use case .

However, I think the crucial thing is what I have not seen in any council
open data and that is not just signage, but stiles, gates etc. As most of
these are actually owned by relevant landowners I suspect that OSM is by
far-and-away the most likely source for decent information about their
location etc. (Modern accessible kissing gates etc excepted as many of
these will, at the very least, received subventions from council funds.)

So broadly speaking I think this has direct OSM relevance. I think my
concern would be that it might be too UK (or even England and Wales)
centric for a more general OSM audience. The model elsewhere in Europe
AFAIK is that trail marking & maintenance is largely carried out by
volunteer organisations like the GR and Club
Vosgien<http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_vosgien>folk in France, the
SAW <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schweizer_Wanderwege> in Switzerland, and
even very local ones, such as the Mythenfreunde<http://www.grossermythen.ch/>.
I know some clubs in the UK have a long history of both path marking and
controlling path status, but I doubt if they have the depth of local
knowledge which exists in the continental volunteer organisations.

Thats my 2 p; I better get back to doing synopses for my proposed
presentation topics.

Regards,

Jerry