[Talk-GB] Notification of Rights of Way

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 19:09:25 UTC 2013

On 30 June 2013 17:15, Rob Nickerson <rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some time ago I wrote to you about the process by which notice of changes to
> Public Rights of Way are distributed to Ordnance Survey and other interested
> third parties.
>
> These third parties are listed as "Prescribed Organisations" in Appendix A
> of [1].
[snip]
> So does anyone think this is worth pursuing further? In my opinion the
> business case is obvious and it step one of many towards opening up more
> competition in the mapping arena (why should OS get all this information but
> not other map makers). And is anyone willing to help?

Count me in.

However, it seems to me that the whole idea of having a list of
"prescribed organisations" is somewhat outdated. If the councils were
instead to publish the details of any changes in a consistent and
standardised way on their websites (or better still via a suitable
API), then it would be simple enough for any interested organisation
to check for updates and obtain details of any changes that had
occurred. But I guess that the legislation is not set up for that way
of thinking, so being added to the list of "prescribed organisations"
may be the best thing to aim for.

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker