[Talk-GB] Refs on Tertiary & Unclassifed Roads in Highland

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Sun Mar 17 20:45:14 UTC 2013

On 17/03/2013 19:02, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) wrote:
> I would say that altering our tagging to avoid these numbers appearing
> on maps or in directions is to a large extent tagging for the render /
> router. The reference number *is* C616.

Maybe in these cases some way of indicating to data users that it's not
visible on the ground is required?

The Scottish example up the thread:

did have a "source_ref:ref", but that doesn't itself indicate "there is
no sign so this is not actually useful as a reference".

For bus stops, "physically_present=no" has had some use:
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/physically_present#overview

Could that, or something more appropriate to road reference numbers, be
used here?  Obviously that would require an actual survey (something
that may not have happened in this case), but that's surely something
that should happen anyway.

Cheers,
Andy