[Talk-GB] Complaining about refs on roads again!

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Wed May 1 17:24:51 UTC 2013

On 1 May 2013 09:59, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
>> Otherwise we're likely to continue with an inconsistent mixture of
>> ref, admin_ref, official_ref, local_ref and probably others too.
>
> Yep. local_ref doesn't really explain what this putative tag would do (these
> refs do happen to be set by local authorities, but that's not the point
> we're addressing). Taginfo reports that admin_ref has significantly more
> uses than official_ref, admin:ref and official:ref, and it's consistent with
> the established _ref principle. I'd therefore suggest we go with admin_ref,
> but am open to arguments!

If we have to change from using ref=*, then my preference would be for
admin_ref too. I agree with Richard's thoughts on local_ref, and
official_ref seems to have been defined for the csae where something
has two reference values, an official one and different one that is
still signed for some reason. That's not quite the case here, so it
might be better to use a different tag. Since these raod numbers are
mostly for administrative purposes, admin_ref seems to fit the bill.

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker