[Talk-GB] Usage of "lanes / turn restrictions" versus "multiple ways" when road is not divided

sk53.osm sk53.osm at gmail.com
Tue May 7 19:36:17 UTC 2013

Like others I agree that split roads must have some absolute barrier
between them. If there is a traffic jam and it is possible to do a U-turn
then the road should not be split.

There are however a number of cases which might be a bit harder to call. I
notice a revised road layout yesterday where a 2 lane single carriageway A
road has had two large islands inserted either side of a left turn into a
side road. The spaces before and after the islands have diagonal white
stripes. I was wondering as I drove past if there was any way of reasonably
representing this on OSM.

The second case is one where the road is obviously split but that this
might not be apparent even when driving along it except for non-U turn
signs. I encountered an unmarked crossing (with suitable drop-down tactile
paving kerbs on either side) which had a very subtle island refuge which
was extended a fair distance in either direction. The refuge was
effectively just kerb stone, with little gaps for foot and cycle traffic.
I'll post pictures of this on OpenStreetVIew but they wont be visible for a
while because of delays in moderation.

Jerry