[Talk-GB] Upcoming changes to OpenStreetMap.org website

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Sun Nov 17 00:10:46 UTC 2013

On 16/11/13 23:19, ael wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 09:45:57PM +0000, Rob Nickerson wrote:
>
>> In regards to the comment about wanting a [x] button on the welcome text,
>> it does disappear for logged in users and small screen devices. As for non
>> logged in users this request has been raised already. I will mention that
>> it has been brought up again, but I wouldn't hold out much hope for this
>> one to change. The previous response was that it "provides a nice impetus
>> to create an account. :)"
>
> That's just silly - the previous response. Why should one waste time
> logging in even if already a contributor when just wanting to *use* the
> map?

The point is that "just using the map" is not our target audience.

As has been said many times, we are not trying to be an end user mapping
site that offers a Google Maps alternative for the masses.

Our target audience is people that want to signup and contribute.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/