[Talk-GB] Mechanically setting name tag of Naptan data

Matthijs Melissen info at matthijsmelissen.nl
Tue Nov 26 18:24:25 UTC 2013

Dear all,

In Birmingham, all bus stops have been imported from Naptan, but
during the import, the name tag has not been set. I am considering
adding the name tag, by setting it to something like:

camelcase(naptan:Street) + ' / ' + naptan:CommonName

That way, the name tag in OSM will match the name on the bus stop.

I am currently discussing whether this change is desirable on the
local mailing list [1]. Apart from whether this change is desirable,
what would be the easiest way to achieve it?

I suppose it's best to download the data with xapi, use a scripting
language to create a change set based on this data, and then upload
the change set? Is there someone who has already done something
similar, and can perhaps give me some demo code on to how walk through
the xapi output and how to to create the changeset? Or would there be
an easier way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance.

-- Matthijs

[1] https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb-westmidlands/2013-November/001462.html