[Talk-GB] Hand-drawn OS maps on Wikimedia Commons

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 22:30:05 UTC 2013

Hi All,

Thanks for those that have helped so far. I am now in contact with a OSM
sys admin to get these maps up on a tile server (for subsequent use in the
OSM editors).

Out of interest, OSM servers are able to create tiles "on the fly" as long
as it is provided a raster image that is geocoded. This makes use of the
Geospatial Data Abstraction Library (GDAL), so I suggest Wikimedia Commons
use one of the file formats that GDAL supports.

In this instance we are using the .jpg hosted on Wikimedia and the World
File (.wld) hosted on the British Library website. I am unsure if GDAL
directly supports the "corner coordinates" that Wikimedia makes available.

Best wishes,
Rob