[Talk-GB] Advice needed for maxweight turning restriction

ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com
Mon Oct 14 19:22:56 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 08:57:24AM +0100, Nick Allen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Before you map it I would check around a little as this situation is very
> unusual.  Weight restrictions are only used to protect something such as a
> culvert,  bridge,  or other underground vulnerable object. If the
> authorities just want to stop large vehicles they tend to use 6'6" width
> restrictions.

No, I don't think it is a mistake, nor have the signs been subject to
tampering. It is an awkward and narrow turn for large vehicles and I
I agreed that they probably really ought to have used a width
restriction, but what's on the ground is the weight restriction.

> Has someone turned a sign round or stolen one or more for the metal?
> Perhaps a bridge strengthened and a sign overlooked.

There is no obvious sign of a weak culvert and there is no bridge
involved.  The local authority offices are within a few hundred metres
of the signs, and I think that I may even have met the person who looks
after these issues. I guess I could ask him if I happen to bump into
him...

ael