[Talk-GB] UK Food Hygiene Rating System

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 10:35:18 UTC 2013

Dave,

I suggest you spend some time reading my blog
<http://sk53-osm.blogspot.com>posts or watch my talks at
SotM <http://lanyrd.com/2013/sotm/scphcw/> and
SotMBaltics<http://vimeo.com/72536464>,
which fully explain why this is by far away most useful in an OSM context
as a source of addresses. The basic premise is quite simple: lack of
addreses is probably the biggest current deficiency in OSM data, but we
have attempted to map the type of POIs represented by FHRS data. Also as
FHRS data contains around 227,000 postcodes (over 10% of the total)

Also I don't know why you need to say "How can that happen?" This statement
was based on a couple of local food start-ups where I've talked about FHRS
ratings with the owners. And certainly I had the impression that Sam Burke
at Gluten Free Food Nottingham didn't start trading until she had her
rating, but I'll check next time I see her. A look at a random LA website
(Rotherham) finds an application
form<http://www.rotherham.gov.uk/downloads/file/7488/food_premises_registration/390>with
the following statement:

On the basis of the activities carried out, certain food business
establishments are required to be *approved* rather than *registered*. If
you are unsure whether any aspect of your food operations would require
your establishment to be *approved*, please contact Rotherham Metropolitan
Borough Council for guidance.

So it's certainly true for some establishments.

Lastly, you put words into my mouth with your last statement about
conflation. I don't think I mentioned imports in the context of FHRS data.
If you were at least marginally aware of my recent mapping using this data,
you should know I have visited every postcode which I have mapped in
Nottingham. I have been a *STRONG *advocate of not importing this data.

However, using this data for 6 momths has shown that conflation would be
very useful for tracking down premises & establishments missing from OSM,
or which have changed their name. It was tedious enough maintaining a
spreadsheet of 2400 records for Nottingham (without any updates). Doing
this on a national scale with 440k records is not practical.

Jerry

On 20 October 2013 15:02, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:

> On 19/10/2013 15:43, SK53 wrote:
>>
>> There is no point in storing the rating score... ...The primary use is
to add address data. A secondary use is to spot places which are no longer
in business.

> Surely the primary use it is Food rating?
>

>> I would suggest that using something like fhrs_ref is best.
>

> I prefer fhrs:id as that is how it is in the database. It reduces
confusion.

>>  I know some businesses who wait for the FHRS inspection before starting
to trade,

> How can that happen? Ratings are based on the quality of hygiene when
operational.

>> A more challenging project is to work on conflation of FHRS data with
OSM data.

> If you mean a mass import then I don't think this is a good idea for many
reasons stated in many previous posts. Use the data piecemeal, but only if
you can be certain the data is correct.