[Talk-GB] Mapping climbing routes/areas.

Dudley Ibbett dudleyibbett at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 23 18:47:47 UTC 2013

I'm a "retired" climber.  It would certainly have been useful to have had maps of crags (the old guidebooks just had drawings of the crags and an OS reference) and a smart phone to locate the general area of a climb if not the actual start.  From memory, many of the larger crags also have named areas so this would be a useful.  Knowing the location of the most "famous" climbs on a crag can also give you a good reference point.  Abseil points in a place likes Gogarth would also be good.   A couple of friends convinced themselves they had done a climb in Wales only to discover they had done the wrong route on the wrong crag in the wrong valley!!

I'm not sure I would get out my old climbing books to do this even though the names aren't copyright but walking along a crag and asking people what climbs they were on and waypointing this information would seem a reasonable thing to do.  From the sounds of it I could also take the guidebook into the field and do this.  Putting some information on the wiki about the legal situation would be helpful as it will probably be some time before I might do this on some of our local crags.

Regards

Dudley